Saturday, December 02, 2006

Texas Making Headlines

They're out of bowl contention an hoping, at least I know I am, they get a berth in the Gator Bowl. But the Longhorns are still in the news.

First off, Dennis Franchione revealed he sent a note to Mack Brown apologizing for Kellen Heard's late hit on Colt McCoy late in A&M's 12-7 win.
"We regret and apologize for the late hit on Colt by Kellen Heard," Fran's note says. "We do not teach this type of play or condone it. After meeting with Kellen, I know he feels badly that this happened, and he expressed that he did not want to display malicious intent.

"We will handle this situation as a coaching staff with consequences for the action. Kellen is in complete agreement and said that he wants Colt to know that he certainly regrets it and he apologizes for the incident."

Nice gesture of him, I suppose. The note goes on to wish Texas good luck in their bowl game and is signed awkwardly "Coach Fran, staff, Kellen Heard and teammates"

The Holiday Bowl-bound Aggies won't say how Heard is to be disciplined but he will be facing consequences.

"Kellen and his teammates know this will not be dealt with lightly, and that’s enough for the public to know, too," Frachione wrote on his website.

****************************************************

Bigger news for Texas was the announcment that Jevan Snead is transferring. Once one of the most highly touted prospects in the nation, Snead couldn't win the job from McCoy. Despite late season developments that seemed to make it likely Snead had more playing time just around the corner, he's elected to play elsewhere.

Sophomore DE Chris Brown andsophomore OT Greg Dolan are gone too, also citing the desire for more playing time.

"All three guys told us they had a great experience, but they felt their best opportunity for more playing time was to transfer," Brown said. "That's totally understandable, and we appreciate everything they did for our program during their time here. We wish all three the best of luck in the future."

In his first and last season with the Longhorns, Snead got into eight games, completing 26-of-49 passes. Two of those completions went for touchdowns, and Snead rushed for another.

"I had a great time at Texas and can't thank Coach Brown enough for everything he did for me," Snead said. "Coach Davis has taught me so much. I will always be grateful for having the chance to learn from him. ... I just think that for me to reach my goal of being a starting quarterback, I need to go somewhere else. I'm going to miss all of my teammates, coaches and the great fans, but I will always be proud of my time with the Longhorns."

While Texas fans won't take the loss of Snead lightly, it offers up plenty of pun opportunities for them.

How about...

"No need for Snead"

"Snead ya later"

or my favorite,

"We don't Snead you anyway"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home