Thursday, July 27, 2006

Media Days Recap

It's getting late here in KC, and we're leaving early but somehow I can't sleep. Today was interesting. I sat down with Ivan Maisel of espn.com and Chip Brown of the Dallas Morning News at lunch. I didn't say much, just listened. I seem to learn more that way. Brian Davis, also of the Morning News and a Daily Texan alum, wandered over after Maisel left, and I got to learn a thing or two from him too.

After Oklahoma spoke with the print media, Treon and I filed our stories as quickly as possible and made our exit. Then it was back to the Holiday Inn Express for a quick nap, then dinner at Chili's (Boneless Buffalo wings, ranch instead of blue cheese, extra buffalo sauce, always). We met up with the KU writer once again, and he drove us to Kauffman Stadium.

As bad as the Royals are, the play in a gorgeous ballpark. The between-inning video screen distractions were lame for the most part, but we had a good ball game to keep our attention. It featured the Orioles against the Red Sox and two pitchers I knew nothing about. Within the first two innings we witnessed to run-downs. Baserunning snafus are fun.

The Royals made a valiant come back attempt with an eighth inning rally after falling behind 4-0 but came up one run short, 4-3.
They also came up one hit short.
12 hits and everyone in the ballpark has won a dozen Shipley's Doughnuts, but it was not to be. Kansas City was held hitless in the bottom of the ninth and we went home empty-handed. Oh well, we still have our complimentary breakfast to look forward to.

Overall, Media Days were a smashing success. Hopefully I wrote some readable stories and there was something to be learned from them. I ended up writing a column while I was here, something I'm always nervous about and have only done once before.

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/media/storage/paper410/news/2005/10/27/Sports/Savior.Or.Sinker.Fran.Not.The.Man-1027635.shtml?norewrite200607270353&sourcedomain=www.dailytexanonline.com

I still agree with what I wrote then, by the way. Stephen McGee would not though, and his opinion is important, so take that into account.

Adrian Peterson lists rushing for 2200 yards as a goal. it'll be interesting to see if he has a chance after the first few games, and if it takes on a life of its own, even affecting playcalls. Somehow, I doubt it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home