Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Suggested Reading

So, from time to time, when I have nothing else to write about, I'm going to try and offer a few suggestions on stories you should read. I know this is nothing new for bloggers. Buster Olney's blog is a perfect example.

But my suggestions are primarily for my peers, fledglings in the sports writing business. With that in mind, the stories might not always be the most timely. They're just stories that you need to read, because the best way to become a better sports writer is to read, read, read.

So today I have four good columns.

There is no honor for UF's Marshall
Possibly my favorite of the bunch, Peter Kerasotis of floridatoday.com tells the story of former Gator Candy Marshall and his exclusion from the school's Rong of Honor.

Beauty in the little things

Joe Posnanski of the Kansas City Star remembers time spent with Lamar Hunt, "the founder of the Kansas City Chiefs, the man who named the Super Bowl and a guy who once tried to buy Alcatraz." There's a lot to learn about Hunt, especially for the clueless in my generation.

Stats alone no measure of this man
The Chronicle's John P. Lopez makes a surprisingly good case for Jeff Bagwell's inclusion in the baseball Hall of Fame. I'm no homer, and I didn't expect this column to do much for me. But, as it turns out, it's a real good read.

Not as simple as black and white
Page2 columnists from espn.com are underrated I think. Here Jamele Hill weighs in on Larry Johnson's assertion that race is the reason he's getting along better with Herm Edwards than he ever did with Dick Vermeil.

There ya go, school's out, and I know you're bored. Read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home